Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Introduction

For a long time, I've been wanting to set up a blog devoted exclusively to music, and this is it. I listen mostly to classic rock and pop from the latter half of the 20th century, but I also listen to some current artists, a little bit of early 20th century pop, and some jazz, blues, and classical music (though I don't expect to be posting much, if anything, about the latter genres). I also have an interest in popular music from non-English speaking countries, particularly East and Southeast Asia. I have hundreds of CDs by Western pop and rock acts and hundreds more by acts from Taiwan (where I live now), and a fair number from neighboring countries like Thailand, Japan, and China (including Hong Kong).

I am especially interested in the history of popular music, and so I often collect music out of historical interest. In addition to reading a fair amount about the history of popular music in the US and the UK, I have done quite a bit of research on Taiwanese popular music history, and published a few articles on this topic. I probably ought to have a separate blog dedicated to Taiwan music history, so I haven't decided whether I will post on Taiwan music here. I probably will do so occasionally, or I will at least post a few of my old essays. If I have a blog devoted to Taiwan music, I may try to post mostly in Chinese (even though it's a lot harder for me to write in Chinese than English), so this may end up being an outlet for English-language writing on Taiwanese pop. Still, my initial posts will probably be mostly on Western rock and pop. Anyway, I hope at least some of my posts will be informative, entertaining, or inspiring (as in inspiring an interest in obtaining certain albums or songs, or making various music compilations) to a few people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.