Saturday, December 31, 2011

Looking Forward to Looking Back

If I were like most people writing about music on the internet, I would be dedicating this space to a review of the best (and maybe also worst) of 2011. However, I have spent very little time listening to new music this year; it will probably be several months more before I even get around to obtaining all of the several albums that Taiwanese artists I know personally have released in the past year, let alone listening to all the mainstream artists and critical favorites here and in the West. When I do want to check out some of last year's notable music, all of those other year in review articles will certainly come in handy, even if I'm likely to disagree with many of their assessments or be unmoved by their top choices (I also have a more general problem with the tendency to post such lists several weeks before the year is even over -- how can you declare your picks to really be the best of the year when something better might be released the week after you release your choices?). My own focus is still mostly on older releases, though I will attempt to evaluate how newer albums in particular genres (say, Taiwanese aboriginal pop music) or by older artists fit into the historical context.

Since I have just begun this blog, I'm still uncertain of the direction I will take. I will certainly do more entries like my previous one on my own compilations of songs from particular eras or by particular artists. I will also try to include some essays (whether new or old) about Asian pop music. I may also review individual classic albums or do my own "best of" lists of albums and songs. While I will try to keep an ear open for good new music, there is so much great music (and music that while maybe not great is interesting for other reasons) from the past that I should have no shortage of topics even if I never mention anything brand new at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.